One of the lasting trends in social media in my opinion is the use of Twitter as a networking tool. Twitter is a free social networking and micro-blogging service that allows its users to send and read other users’ updates (otherwise known as tweets), which are text-based posts of up to 140 characters in length.
Why is that? Well because through Twitter you can easily build and increase your network, connect to friends and colleagues and last but not least drive visitors to your site. Here are some tips on how I use Twitter.
This is how I use Twitter.
- I provide useful and short information on the profile page. Do not write more then 4 lines in the profile. Be short and sweet.
- Have a nice and friendly picture of you. Comic avatars are nice but you need to do all you can to bridge the gap of anonymity as best as possible. So use a picture of yourself if possible.
- Either be totally professional or crazy in the look and feel of your Twitter profile. In my opinion nothing in between works. I have chosen to focus on the professional look. Meaning nothing fancy and information first. Some others like the cool look like Jake Marsh and others. You decide.
- Always provide daily updates on what you are doing. Twitter is all about continuous updates. No matter how unimportant for you. Your followers want to know what you are up to. So let them participate.
- Try to provide something that is of value to your followers. Provide a comment ot a news story, news links, etc. But make sure to always include a link to the story you comment on.
- Use the TinyURL format for links. This makes it easier for readers to follow you links and it is a lot better to look at.
- When you are starting of try to find Twitter users that are in the similar area of work as you. Then follow them. This will help you to get noticed and get more
- If you are looking to for users that have updates that include the topics you are interested then the best way to go forward would be to use the Twitter search function at http://search.twitter.com. This is a really useful tool. I use it a lot.
That is it for now. Please let me know whether you have any other ways on how to use Twitter. I am open to all further ideas.