This topic has been bugging me for a while now so here is what I think. Our sustainable future will be relying on technology that we as humankind choose to invest in that we believe can save our planet. Not everyone has realized hat yet but technology is what we are good at so we need to find a way how to use it to secure our future.
That is why we need to use it more and encourage all sorts of investment that helps to promote the use of technology related to sustainability. We do not need faster cars, more flashy phones or the latest fashion accessory using high tech but we need to look to the following technology fields to make continuous progress if we are to move towards a more sustainable future.
Technology fields of importance (Wikipedia links for more information):
- Food Production: How can we feed everyone in a more sustainable way and avoid the injustice that millions people are dying of hunger on our planet?
- Transportation: How do we solve our current transportation dilemma?
- Environmental Technologies: Technology will be a key to minimizing our externalities as we only have one planet to use so environmental technologies need to be a focus.
- Renewable Energy: This is the only way forward lets not waste our time with Nuclear Energy
- Energy Storage: Once we invest more in renewable energy energy storage can be the key to avoiding energy peaks and lowering the costs of energy long term
- Collaboration & Communication: Communication is key to collaboration and collaboration is essential for our sustainable future. So lets use and embrace modern communication
Technology will help us to make progress on our path to a sustainable future but we need to remember one thing before everything in my opinion. We need to be very selective which technology to choose in the next few years. We only have one shot or maybe two at the most to get it right.
So let’s start with working together to promote the use of technology for our sustainable future.